Swiss roll is made by rolling a thin sheet of sponge cake spread with fillings into a log shape. Usually served in slices.Fillings can be done with whipped cream,jam or with both. I did with whipped cream and chopped fresh strawberries.You can also spread with chocolate ganache.Really this is an amazing recipe.These swiss rolls are very delicate to roll,so be sure not to overcook the sponge, any crispness or hardness will make it liable to crack when rolled.Swiss rolls should be eaten within a few days of making. If cream is used in the filling, the roll should be stored in the fridge in an airtight container.
Recipe source : Joy Of Baking
Click the above link,so that you will not get confused while making.
Sponge Cake Roll/Swiss Roll/Jelly Roll
Whole eggs – 2 (All eggs should be at room temp)
Egg yolks – 3
Egg Whites - 2
Cake flour – 35 g (substituted cake flour with 30g all purpose flour and 5g corn flour)
Corn flour – 3tbs (30 g)
Vanilla extract – 1 tsp
Granulated sugar – ½ cup (100 g) + 1 tbs
Cream of tartar – ¼ tsp or use a pinch of salt
Confectioners sugar – for dusting
Heavy whipping cream – 1 cup
Vanilla extract – ½ tsp
Granulated white sugar – 1-2 tbs
Chopped Strawberries – 10-12
Strawberry syrup – 1 tsp
1.Preheat the oven to 230 degree C. Butter a 17X11 inch baking pan ,lay the bottom with parchment paper or wax paper and again butter and flour the paper.
2.In a bowl, sift both the flour and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, using a electric hand mixer, beat the 3egg yolks and 2 whole eggs along with half cup of sugar, until they become thick and fluffy.Then beat in vanilla extract.
4.Again sift half the flour mixture over the egg mixture and fold in gently with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula.Sift the remaining flour into batter and gentle mix everything together until the flour is incoperated.
5. In a separate clean bowl, add the egg whites and salt and beat until foamy. Gradually beat in 1tbs of sugar and continue to beat until the egg whites develop stiff peaks.
6.Add a little of the egg whites to the batter and fold in gently then add the rest of the egg whites and gently fold in altogether.
7. Spread the batter evenly into the prepared pan and bake for 6-8 minutes or until lightly browned and the cake springs back to the touch.
8. When the cake is ready, run a knife around the sides of the pan and sprinkle with confectioners sugar and invert onto the the kitchen towel and remove the wax paper and again sprinkle with confectioners sugar.
9. Roll the cake in the towel from one of the long sides, place the rolled up cake on a rack to cool.
10. In a mixing bowl place the whipping cream, vanilla extract, and sugar and stir to combine. Cover and chill the bowl and whisk in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes, then beat the mixture just until stiff peaks form. Add the chopped strawberries and strawberry syrup and beat altogether for 2 minutes.
11. Unroll the cake and spread with the filling and reroll and cover it with wax paper or parchment paper and place the cake in the fridge for a minimum of 2 hours to set.
Enjoy this delicious slices...
Linking to : Cook Like a Celebrity Chef event by Food Corner