Recipe Source : Laura in the kitchen
Dry yeast – 1 tbs
Warm water – ¼ cup
Granulated sugar – 1/4cup + 1 tsp
Egg – 1
Milk – ¾ cup
Salt – 1 tsp
Melted unsalted butter – ¼ cup
All purpose flour – 4 cups
Melted Butter, to brush over the top before baking
For the filling
Unsalted butter – 1/3 cup at room temp
Brown sugar – ¾ cup
Granulated sugar – ¼ cup
Cinnamon powder – 1 tbs
Raisins – 2 tbs (optional)
For the orange glaze
Orange juice – ½ cup
Powdered sugar – 5 tbs
1.In a small bowl, combine the warm water and 1 tsp of the granulated sugar, sprinkle the yeast over the top and let it sit for about 5 minutes.
2. In the bowl of a standing mixer/electric beater fitted with a dough hook, mix the milk,egg, sugar,melted butter,salt and vanilla.
3. Then add yeast mixture and mix well then add 2 cups of the flour and mix until its all incorporated and slowly add about 2 more cups of flour. Turn the speed up to medium and let it mix for about 5 to 7 minutes or until you have a smooth dough.
4.Take the dough out of the mixer and pull it together with your hands to form a ball.Or if you don’t have a beater or standing mixer,you can mix all the ingredients in a bowl and turn into a floured surface and knead till smooth and elastic.
5.Oil a large bowl with some vegetable oil and place the dough in it and again oil the top of the dough with a little vegetable oil. Cover with plastic wrap and place it in a warm place (you can place it in the oven) to rise for about 2 hours.
6.For the filling mix together the brown sugar, granulated sugar and cinnamon and set aside.
7.After 2 hours take the dough outside and roll it out onto a floured surface into a rectangle shape.
8. Spread the soft butter over the top and sprinkle the cinnamon mixture evenly then spread the raisins. Now start to roll the dough tightly from the longer side and cut it into 12- 14 pieces.
9. Now place them cut side down in a well buttered baking dish and again cover it with a plastic wrap and put them back to a warm place to rise for 1 hour.
10. Preheat your oven to 180 degree C.
11. Once risen, brush them with some melted butter and bake them for about 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.While baking your house smells heavenly.